About Glacier Club
Just north of Durango, Colorado, nestled on 1,000 acres of the San Juan National Forest, sits the private golf community of the Glacier Club. Officially opened in 2003, the vision of Rick Carlton of Nashville, Tenn., was to build a private, luxury club and community in beautiful Southwest Colorado. Amenities include two 18-hole golf courses, two clubhouses, tennis, fine and casual dining, pools, spa and fitness center.
Prior to the Glacier Club, the property was developed in the early 1970’s as a series of hotels, convention center, meeting facilities and even a ski area with a chairlift. Carlton acquired the property in the early 2000’s.
Glacier Club embraces the western history of the area, with a particular nod to the area’s rich mining history. Durango was founded by the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Company in 1880 to serve the San Juan Mining District, where silver and gold was being discovered in the mountains. Today, Glacier Club is a thriving private community, new and innovative real estate developments with land for sale, an active lifestyle perfect for multi-generational families and individuals and an exciting calendar of member events – all in a perfect mountain setting.
Rick Carlton has been in real estate development and management for more than 35 years with a strong passion in the golf industry. After several successful ventures in Southwest Florida, he relocated to Santa Fe, New Mexico, where he was re-introduced to Tamarron in Durango, Colorado. He had previously owned a Tamarron Condo in 1985.
The Glacier story began in the fall of 2001 and has since been Carlton’s passion to create one of the finest mountain communities in the Rockies. After 17 years and a lot of perseverance, Glacier is poised for the greatest growth period of its existence.
The Carlton’s family foundation has been very supportive of the Durango community in many ways over the years. The AWC Family Foundation has been instrumental in the development and construction of Mercy Regional Hospital, the Powerhouse Science Center and the student union at Fort Lewis College. They have given to many other local organizations and will continue be a big supporter of the area.
Carlton has stated many times that there will never be another community like Glacier in Southwest Colorado.
- Best Residential Courses in the US ~ Golfweek
- Second Place CAGGY Award for Best Western Slope/Southwest Club ~ Colorado Avid Golfer
- CAGGY Award for Best Western Slope/Southwest Club ~ Colorado Avid Golfer
- Best Young Teachers In America (Alex Fisher) ~ Golf Digest
- General Design Honor Award ~ American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA)
- Colorado Honor Award ~ ASLA
- Colorado Land Stewardship Designation ~ ASLA
- Top 100 Resorts in the World ~ Travel and Leisure Golf
- Top 50 Resort Courses in America ~ Golf Digest
- “One of the 50 Best Golf Courses in the USA, Caribbean and Beyond” ~ Conde Nast Traveler Magazine
- 9 Best Colorado Golf Courses You Have to Play ~ Trips to Discover Magazine